Sunless Tanning Preparation Suggestions
“How can I get the best tan possible?”
What to do Before You Tan:
Preparing well before a spray tan is the most important part of the spray tanning process.
- If you are going to shave or wax before spray tanning, do it a day before, since you need the pores to close properly after hair removal. If they don’t, excess spray tan solution can lodge in those pores and that will give you a spotty look – not very attractive!
- The most crucial step – exfoliate! The best time to do it is also a day before your spray tan so that the skin has a chance to recover. Be very, very thorough in places where there is a buildup of dead skin like elbows, knees and ankles.
- On the day of your spray tan have a shower using a soap or body wash that does not contain a lot of moisturisers. Do not apply anything to your skin like moisturisers, body butters, deodorant or make up – they have a tendency to block spray tanning solution from reaching your skin and you can finish with lighter patches. Some deodorants can also react with a spray tanning solution and turn your underarms green! If you need to – carry some wet towelettes and wipe your underarms when you need to. This can also work for make up too if you have to wear some before you get to the salon.
- Remove any jewellery when being sprayed.
- Dark loose cotton, jersey fabrics and dark underwear without tight waistbands are ideal to wear before and after your spray tan. Some of the guide colour can be easily removed by tight fitting clothing so it is best to keep clothing loose.
- After your tanning session avoid any activity that would cause sweating, like exercise, cleaning, or showering, as your spray tan is developing during these hours. Contact with water or sweat could result in lines or uneven tanning.
- Clients should wait to shower at least eight hours after a spray tanning session, once the development process has finished. For best results leave your tan overnight if possible.
Sunless Tanning Maintenance
When showering, use your palms for lathering in lieu of a loofah or wash cloth. Also, use moisturisers generously as they have been proven to help extend the length of a sunless tan. Be aware that swimming in chlorinated pools dries the skin, which can shorten the life of a sunless tan. Moisturise after swimming to help reverse any dryness, and be careful not to exfoliate the skin when towel-drying, which can cause unintended exfoliation. Healthy, moist skin will retain the results of your sunless tanning session longer. Ask about our tan extending products in store.